Saturday, February 09, 2008

CNY~

No ang baos, no meeting up with friends and relatives, no chinese new year cookies, no chinese new year songs, no chinese new year atmosphere. This has certainly been the 1st time I've spent chinese new year outside of Singapore, and it certainly has been chinese new year with a twist for me. The GIPers went for a "reunion" dinner on Wednesday night at a chinese restaurant called Shanghai Garden in International district, despite heavy schedules and many having midterms the day after. It was a sin if we didn't go out for dinner that night. I committed a sin by doing homework and studying on Chu yi, something which I knew I wasn't supposed to do but didn't really have much of a choice.Yesterday and today, the two presidential nominees for the Democrats dropped into town. Hilary Clinton and Barack Obama spoke at rallies held in Seattle and being curious and having the "everything also must try and must do" mentality, I spent chu yi and chu er listening to the speeches of who might eventually be the next President of the United States. It was just way cool and indescribable to see them in person, with so much admiration and respect for them. I just came back not too long ago from the first house party I went. It was kindly organized by the Singapore Student Association in UW, and we met quite a few Singaporeans studying full time or working in Seattle and friends. It was nice to get to know new people, although the mood didn't permit me to do it in a fulfiling manner. Nevertheless, it was a great night of chinese food, mixers, wine and company.

No comments: