Sunday, January 18, 2009

On the way to Lyon~

I travelled slightly more than 24 hours to Lyon from Singapore, stopping at 2 cities on the way. It was one helluva journey. Qatar Airways, I love Qatar Airways. One of the better airlines I have taken for a long long time. The acoustic shielding of the plane from its engines was superb. Everyone was given an eye mask and socks.  They even gave you stickers to paste on the top of your seat, whether you wanted to be waken up for mealtimes or whether you want to be left to enjoy ya sleep. After a leg aching 7 hours, touch down in Doha. Was greeted by the morning cold and the long bus ride to the terminal from the airplane. The stupid baggage guy who scanned my bag made me take out everything from my bag. I didn't know what he was looking for, so when he finally saw my metal ruler in my pencil case and confiscated it, I was totally dumbfounded..."This is not allowed" he said. OMG.....Ok whatever...

Then another 7 hour flight to Geneva. The flight was pretty empty so it was pretty comfortable as I could stretch my legs and incline my seat all the way back without someone smacking me on my head. When I arrived in Geneva, I had to face the reality of a language barrier...something I was quite prepared for but did not know the full extent till I experienced it first hand. It was painful, but hopefully this pain will lead to some gains. There I waited at the cafe a la gare de Cornavin, a long 3 hour wait for my train to Lyon. There I sat, watching people while sipping on a hot chocolate which I wondered why did I order it when it was more expensive than a glass of vin de rouge, and munching on a very delicious chicken and pesto sandwich. The cold was getting abit intolerable. 

Train ride to Lyon took another 2 hours, half of which I had to stand and struggle with the bulky baggage. Thankfully, Elvin picked me up from Lyon Part-Dieu, the train station at Lyon and by that time, I was simply exhausted. Thank God he managed to get my room key from the highly inefficient school office so I could enjoy a good night's rest. Thank God for the safe journey.

No comments: