Friday, July 20, 2007

The Tippers~

In my last few days of work, i suddenly managed to get alot of tips. Although the amount pales in comparison with some of my fellow colleagues, it is still is a substantial amount, which can sometimes double my wages for that day. Sometimes you just wish to get "ang mo" customers, because of their higher propensity to tip than their asian counterparts. And sometimes, one would even guess whether one customer would tip before he/she even places an order. I'm so guilty of that. Nevertheless, incidents that happened today have taught me a very simple, a very widely taught lesson that we should never judge a book by its cover, because i received a tip from the least expected customer that i predicted would tip.

They were two indian guys (not that i have anything against the indians, and i'm not racist by the way), who had unkempt hair and dressed like they were going to one of those small restaurants in Little India. The way they were looking through the menu was as if they couldn't afford some of the items in there. In the end, they ordered a small salad and an appetizer. For two guys, that was the first for me. Their total bill was $17 plus, and they left behind $2 of tips for me. That's like more than 10% of tips. Although in absolute terms, it was not really much, but it touched my heart, and made me feel ashamed of myself for judging someone before they actually proved themselves to me. It was an interesting and reflective 2nd last day of work for me. I hope tomorrow would be one to remember.

1 comment:

fivetwosix said...

ha! my boss had the EXACT same experience, except i think he is a lil racist when it comes to Indians. so everytime when the 2 Indians come in, I have to by default serve them and there was once when they left a HUGE tip..! great lesson learnt for you there ;)

and bytheway, i'm back (for beer)!!! ha ha ha so, seeyouaftersportscamp!