Thursday, April 03, 2008

Rediscovering the touch~

Spring quarter has started very much quicker than expected, and probably not well anticipated due to the chilly weather that we have faced in the past few days, with snow reported in Seattle over the weekend while we were on Spring break. It is still relatively cold with temperatures averaging slightly less than 10 degrees C. This quarter, I am taking 5 courses. They are Incompressible Aerodynamics, Propulsion, Functional Properties of materials 1, Introduction to modern materials, and Introduction to manufacturing processes. Today in my Intro to manu process class, my professor, reminded us why we are studying engineering.

"In the manufacturing processes, there are design engineers, manufacturing engineers, and the support and administration. Design engineers are where we want to be, but support and administration is where the money is. So why do u want to be here? Why not get an MBA?"

Everybody remained silent for a while before some answers popped out from corners of the classroom.

Finally he said "Engineering is a noble profession to exercise your creative mind to design and create things for the world, for the people. We are directly responsible for people's welfare. When we screw up, people die. It is therefore important to remember what you have learnt in class so that you will become good and responsible engineers when you graduate."

I make it a point to remember what I'm studying, and to be as serious as I can to what I'm studying. Studying here in the US has certainly broadened my perspective on learning, and why we should learn and continue to learn as an engineer, why we should pursue learning not just for the good grades, but for the ultimate responsibility for other people's lives. Sometimes when the going gets tough, all the toughness just clouds out these goals and mottos. But today, it has been made clear to me again through Prof Labossiere, one who has inspired me at the start of the dreary Spring quarter, one whom already earned my respect just at the 2nd lesson.

No comments: